Sunday, June 19, 2011

Southern Iloilo Heritage Tour Part 2: Miagao!


Miagao is home to Santo Tomas de Villanueva Church, one of the top 10 UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the Philippines and one of the 4 Baroque Churches that made it to the list.  I’ve been longing to see this church for a quite a while because for someone who’s been to Iloilo a number of times, I don’t know why I never bothered to spend time to see this church.





















A and I may have seen way too many churches in our trips and I guess that’s the reason why Miagao church to us was just okay.  There is no doubt that it’s grand with the carvings and the fat (hehe!) watchtower belfries and really beautiful but we agree that this church lacks that umph.  I can’t really describe what we’re looking for but all I can say is that an old church must look really old, not dilapidated, just old.  And Miagao church to us is…well, clean!  Yes!  It’s like the façade was just sandpapered.  I really don’t know how to describe it.

But the trip to this municipality with 119 baranggays (whoa!) was definitely worth it.  It was dark when we finished touring the church so we decided to head back to the city and just return the following day to finish the rest of the churches in our list.

No comments:

Post a Comment