Sunday, June 19, 2011

Antique: The Impromptu Trip!


The truth is that we had no idea what to expect out of this trip because it’s not an item in our itinerary, therefore, it was not included in the research.  I just know that I was already starving when we got there and lunch was in order.  The trip to San Jose just took us an hour and a half and that made me wonder why the “ale”  from San Joaquin said that it was “sobrang malayo pa!” .  A said that maybe the “ale” doesn’t travel that much so for her it was really that far.  Hay naku, knowing how much time we spend being stuck in traffic here in Manila…the Antique bus ride was definitely a short trip.














There are a couple of things that I vividly remember about Antique and one of them is Evelio Javier.  I had no idea who he was but the tarpaulins scattered around town made me assume that he was a public servant who was assassinated during the Marcos regime.  And I was right!  He was a lawyer and a politician who was brutally assassinated in February 11, 1986.  And according to Wikipedia, his assassination fueled the fire to start the People Power/Philippine EDSA Revolution on Saturday, February 22, 1986.  Hmmm.  I must be out playing with my friends when that happened because I really had no idea.
















Yes, kelangan talagang may walis at dustpan!

 












The other thing that I remember is the chicken inasal that we had for lunch that day.  Chicken never tasted that good.  Well, maybe for 2 very hungry travelers.  We were looking for a Spanish colonial church around town but we didn’t see any.  There was a church alright but A could not bring himself to take a shot.  Well, let’s just say that it would not make the cut, anyway. Hehe!

















And if there are things that I find hard to remember about this Antique trip, there’s one that I’ll never forget.  On the way back to Miagao, Iloilo, while the bus was cruising the winding highway…I noticed this goat that’s standing by the roadside.  First thing that came to my mind was that our bus would hit this goat…and we did!  I heard a loud thump as we passed by the area where the goat was so I looked back and saw the goat limping and screaming loudly.  I was so shocked because we hit a domesticated animal that appeared to be pregnant.  The bus didn’t bother to stop but I overheard the conductor tell the driver to be careful because the residents know which bus hit their pet.  Actually, I just guessed that that’s what they talked about…I was eavesdropping lang because they’re talking in their dialect eh. Hehehe.

Next stop…Miagao Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment