Sunday, October 24, 2010

Rizal Churches - UNE!

The wonderful sight of the Spanish colonial churches during the Bicol trip which A and I did a couple of months ago was the inspiration for this day-tour.  Or is it because we just can’t keep still? :-D
Let me just be clear with one thing…this tour is not of the religious kind, we went there to admire the architecture…nothing more, nothing less.  The churches will be described the way I saw them so I hope that any comment that I make regarding any of the churches that we visited will not be construed as being disrespectful.
Why Rizal and Laguna?  Firstly, some of the best-preserved Spanish colonial churches are found there.  Most, if not all of them, were designed by anonymous friar-architects and built between 1600 and 1750.  The original structures may have been made with bamboo and nipa but the friars probably wanted that WOW factor so more ostentatious buildings had to be erected.  Plus these grandiose buildings had more chances to survive fires and earthquakes.  So, even if it’s unimaginable to erect these massive structures because of technical and material limitations during those times, we have to give it to these friars for having the ambition, most of which we still see today.  I just don’t want to think what kind of hardships the craftsmen endured just to deliver these churches.  And secondly, Rizal and Laguna are so near.  End of discussion. J  
So, armed with the map and sunny attitudes, A and I started the journey at 7am.  The sky was overcast which was just perfect. 
First stop was a church along the highway of Teresa, Rizal.

Our Lady of St. Rose of Lima Church
















Obviously not colonial but whoever designed this church was genius.  The chapel I’d describe as a box and then slapped with a façade complete with a bell tower…that gives us a fair-looking church which we can add to the list of stops in Rizal. J
Second stop, Morong Church.

St. Jerome Parish Church




















A was pretty excited to show me this church and as we approach the church grounds, I was stoked!  I thought that if it was a preview of what’s to come, I can’t wait to see them all!
St. Jerome Church is one of the most photographed churches in Rizal so I cannot for the life of me imagine why it took me this long to see it.  It’s literally under my nose!  With my jaw hanging by the hinges, I marveled at the intricate detail of its façade and belfry.  It was said that the first church was built by Chinese craftsmen in 1615 and the striking façade that we see today, was completed between 1850 to 1853 to support the belfry on top of it.  But it’s sad to say though that the interior has already been renovated.  I just wished that they thought of a nicer altar to complement the church’s façade because frankly, entering the church to see the altar is quite a let down. 

    

































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment