Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Laguna Churches - QUATRE!

We asked for directions to Liliw because the roads were getting tricky and we were advised that we had to pass through this bridge that's under construction.  We got to the bridge and A had to drive into this really deep ditch to get to the other side…and this was where we got lost.  We're supposed to take the first turn but we didn’t.  And mind you, it was already 3pm and we had been driving all day with no lunch.  As we reached a fork, we asked the locals again and eventually found out that we took the wrong road…instead of getting to Liliw, we somehow reached Magdalena.  I wanted to see the Magdalena church, too, but it was getting dark and we absolutely had to see Nagcarlan after Liliw so A had to drive back and re-trace our “steps”.
We were already starving so we stopped at this store selling super-sweet lansones.  I asked A to get us a few kilos to munch on.














While waiting in the car, I saw this jolly manang selling the most delicious-looking banana cue.  I bought a couple of sticks to A’s delight.  I swear that it was the most delicious meal I ever had in a long time. J   So with happy tummies and a couple of military checkpoints , we found our way to Liliw.

I just have to say that the "right" road that leads to Liliw reminded me of the roadtrip to Bicol...because of the Chowking signages.  Boy!  Was I a happy girl seeing "Chowking-Liliw, 4kms!" 















Twelfth stop, Liliw Church

St. John the Baptist Church
















The church is at the center of the town known for its slipper-makers and kesong puti.  The red-orange brick color reminds me of the church in Nabua, Camarines Sur.  It’s difficult to get a clean shot of the church because foot traffic’s pretty heavy but I think I was able to get a good shot!

















Why LILIO?  According to Wikipedia, throughout the Spanish regime, the name Liliw was used. When the Americans came, it became Lilio since the Americans found it easier to pronounce it than Liliw. However, on June 11, 1965, the municipal council passed Resolution No. 38-S-65 which declared Liliw as the official name and spelling of the town. This was to avoid confusion in pronouncing and spelling the name of the town.











I love cheese but let me just say that paying 300pesos for 6 one-peso coin sized kesong puti is considered a mortal sin.  I somehow knew that it’s all banana leaf wrapping but since I paid for the larger ones, I was expecting to get a bit larger cheese but I was wrong.  Kainis!  I should’ve spent the money na lang in some good feta or cream cheese.  Anyway, we had the super late and quick lunch in Chowking.  Had to rush to Nagcarlan because it was already getting dark.  This town is known for the Underground Cemetery and the Roman Catholic Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment