Monday, October 25, 2010

Laguna Churches - DEUX!

Eighth stop, Paete Church

Santiago Apostol Church
















I’d say that this is the hardest church to find…with the oh-so-small streets of Paete, I think A missed his turn four times. J

After asking for directions, we immediately found a nice parking slot just outside the church and we thought that we’re so lucky nobody’s grabbed it yet, then I saw why. :-D














Anyhoo, we didn’t bother to transfer to another parking slot because it’s Saturday after all, the mayor probably wouldn’t hold office there.  So, we grabbed an umbrella and ran to the church.  I had huge expectations because Paete is known for its woodcarving and paper mache.  And the church did not disappoint, with the intricate floral (I wonder why :-p) wall carvings and the beautiful altarpieces, this is a nice hidden treasure.  It’s definitely worth the trip albeit getting lost in the process. J
What’s really interesting about this church is the century-old paintings of San Cristobal, Langit, Lupa at Impyerno and Juicio Final.  Paging all art conservation societies…please include these in your priorities as the paintings are slowly deteriorating.
 













Langit, Lupa at Impiyerno
Taon ng ginawa: 1850
Guhit ni: Jose Luciano Dans
(3 1/2m x 5m sa kahoy na maulawin)
 










San Cristobal
Taon ng ginawa: 1850
Guhit ni: Jose Luciano Dans
(Ikalawang guhit sa 3 1/2m x 5m sa kahoy na maulawin)
 


















Juicio Final
(St. Francis and the Salvation of the Soul)
Taon ng ginawa: 1720
Iginuhit matapos itayo ang unang simbahang bato noong 1717


































Looking at the map, we were expecting a pretty long ride to Cavinti…but we were somehow pleasantly surprised to get there in no time.  You can’t blame us, we just came from Bicol and the driving hours to get from one town to another took crazy long!
Ninth stop, Cavinti Church


Parish of the Transfiguration of our Lord















We arrived in the sleepy town of Cavinti and immediately proceeded to the church.  As we parked the car, we chanced upon two roadies who were resting at the church grounds.  I hoped that they lived nearby because I could not imagine the heat that they’d go through once they went their way.
I was impressed by the centuries-old adobe church.  I loved the way shrubs were growing in the church walls.  The altarpieces were not as magnificent as the others that we saw but it was enough to complement the simplicity of the church and the town where it was built.
Within the church grounds, there’s a fenced area dedicated to the Way of the Cross.  I think the monuments were made of metal but I’m not so sure as I did not check.  I remember that I almost lost my camera casing in this church, I had to scour the area.  Good thing I found it…I once lost my camera casing in a bike ride and I don’t want to do it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment