Thursday, March 3, 2011

Davao City: Marco Polo Hotel!

Said to be the tallest building in the city, its convenient location means that guests can enjoy the advantage of being close to the airport, the central business district and the shopping centers.  The fruit stalls that sell the sweetest pomelos and the shopping center, Aldevinco, which sells native products like sarongs and malong are just across the street from the hotel.

I stayed in their deluxe room with a very nice view of Mt. Apo.  The room is a bit dated but well-maintained.  And the bathroom could sure use a little sprucing up but it was clean and had the usual toiletries and towels.  There were no bathrobes, though.

The pool area is nice though I didn’t get to enjoy it because I do not like swimming in stagnant water. J  But I was able to use the well-equipped gym which is strategically located since Café Marco where the buffet breakfast is served is just 2 floors down.  And that’s where I headed right after sweating it out at the gym.  Syempre, I need to replace the calories lost. Lol!

Café Marco offers a wide breakfast selection but it was a bit crowded when I got there.  And when there’s a lot of people, food ran out fast and it was disappointing to see that it took the staff quite some time to replenish some of the dishes.  I wanted to enjoy breakfast in silence but I guess I’m too much of a “foreigner” magnet that before I knew it, an Italian, by the name of Favio, started talking to me.  Wa poise ako because I was munching on these huge California Makis.  I had to excuse myself from this chatty fellow because I was on my way to the Philippine Eagle Center.

What I really liked about this hotel is the framed painting by Tita Cory that hangs in the lobby.  The late former president sure had talent.  And there were framed messages by former presidents and VIP, though I find some of the messages and penmanship tacky.  But Cory Aquino’s simple signature with a sketch of a single rose is pleasant to stare at.

Though pricey, the Marco Polo Hotel is probably your best choice when you’re in Davao.
The Marco Polo Hotel




This is the Banyo Situation


Mt. Apo is shy!

The hotel facade at night


Tita Cory sure liked yellow!

Try to zoom in the messages...

The nicest of all the frames.

No comments:

Post a Comment