Thursday, March 3, 2011

Davao City: Around the Philippine Eagle Center!

I first set foot in the Philippine Eagle Center 10 years ago, Im just glad that I got the chance to visit it again.  Let's take a tour...

We walked to the grove after parking the car.























And so we followed the arrow that pointed to the crocodile patch...and there we saw a huge Estuarine Crocodile.  I did not know that crocodiles are nocturnal.  I thought that they barely move because of their weight, apparently, they do all the moving, roaming and hunting only at night time.  But I know for a fact that they open their mouth to cool themselves and that they do this to regulate their body temperature especially when they are not in the water.  They don't perspire since they don't have pores so they open their mouth. :-)

Guys, I want you to meet Gold Dipper.















Just a few steps away from Gold Dipper's territory, we found these birdies...














Crested Serpent Eagle





















Grey Headed Fishing Eagle




















White Bellied Sea Eagle




















I was so kilig when I saw this for it's been 10 years since we last saw each other.














But these cuties stole my attention for a little while.  I know that they are nocturnal and their heads can turn 180degrees (or is it 360?) but can someone please tell me why they sleep standing on one leg?


Grass Owls















And the monkey pit is still there...home to a number of long-tailed macaques.  Remember that the Philippine Eagle was then known as Monkey-Eating Eagle?  I wonder if the monkeys were...well...food.  lol!















And there's Diola's Forest.  I will talk about her in the next post.
















The entire park is bursting with colors...



 

















And I had a couple of really close encounters...I LOVE!

Don't touch my birdie!















An albino python!


6 comments:

  1. Hi. This is a very nice post. I really had fun reading it. Used to work at PEC, you know. :)


    Jayvee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by, Jayvee. You're lucky to have worked there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really am. I was the education officer for center-based education. Anyway, I still regularly go there on weekends to do volunteer work; you know, Philippine eagle conservation has always been my advocacy. I was thinking I could share some of my photos with you, as I can see that you also have a love for these magnificent birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh please do! I'm sure you got way better shots of the eagles. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I have your email add? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's titanium.chronicles@yahoo.com

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete