Friday, December 3, 2010

Bataan: Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar!

I first saw this place in one of the many bike rides I did in my home province, Bataan.  The place was still under construction and entry was not “that” restricted yet.  I immediately fell in love with the old houses that were being restored “brick by brick” because it reminded me of my trips to Vigan and how I adore the heritage houses there.  Imagine having a big village, not just a street like in Vigan, right there in our backyard!  We called it Acuzar Estate then because of it’s owner, Jerry Acuzar of San Jose Builders.  The man behind this very ambitious project.  When others like collecting paintings, this guy would collect old houses and restores them.  Neat huh?  Never mind the controversies that surround the restoration and rebuilding in this heritage town, Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar is a sight to behold.

I found out that they finally opened their gates to the public…for a fee of course.  My sister urged me to get myself a membership card so we can bring in the whole family regularly.  I got mine cheap because she’s the principal member.  We’re in a rush so after paying in their office, we just went around by ourselves and took photos.  As you enter the huge gate after a thorough inspection of the guard, you will be transported back in time.  Benjamin Button-moment nga because the clock ticked counterclockwise. J













































































































































































































































































Aren’t these pictures enough proof of how well they did with the restoration?  So, even if conservationists accuse Mr. Jerry Acuzar of uprooting these houses from their “historically significant locations”, I still applaud the guy.  It doesn’t matter if he bought these houses to be dismantled and taken somewhere else as long as they are restored and maintained properly.  The man did something extremely significant and for that I admire him.  Now, my nephews and niece can see and appreciate the beautiful architecture from our past and it’s not going to be just from the books or the internet.

The kidettes were asking how soon we can go back because they want to go swimming.  I promised the next weekend.  So, A, are you coming with us?

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!
    Are there people actually living in them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Some of the houses are actually for rent but if one whole house is too big for you, the hotel is your best choice.

    ReplyDelete