Thursday, May 3, 2012

Taiwan Chronicles: Getting Around!


I was promised that I will love Taiwan and I sure did!  I have nothing but very fond memories from the time that I stepped off the plane up to the time that I was dragging my lazy bum on to that flight back to Manila.  And just like what happened the first time I went to Cambodia, I was immediately on the lookout for airline promos as soon as I got back.  I guess the Taiwanese Gods (meron ba nun?) liked me as well because come December, we will be going back to the Land of Yummy Xiao Long Bao.  Yipee! 
 
So A, after Bali, you may want to consider a Taiwan trip…and make sure it’s winter.

Travelling around Taipei is not a problem because they have an excellent system of public transportation.  There’s no train that connects the airport to the city…YET…so, I was able to try the bus.  I love their buses, they’re clean, comfortable and there are regular trips that ply the city-airport route. Personally, I think that the best and fastest way to get around is through the train system.  Buying a Metro Easy Card is so simple. NT$500 is more than enough for a week-long stay.  It has NT$400 stored value and NT$100 refundable deposit.  On your last day, surrender the Metro Easy Card, get a refund on your unused credits and your deposit less NT$20 admin fee.  Saya diba?

Armed with maps, the Metro Easy Card, some moolah and our bright and sunny attitudes…we explored Taipei in winter.

An officemate who also recently visited Taiwan mentioned that her BF’s request was to see the Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall.  So, we got off the train station to see what it’s all about.  I did not know anything about Sun Yat Sen except that he’s the founding father of R.O.C.  He’s so respected that there’s an honor guard by his statue and they request visitors to salute in his monument.  I was tempted, really, but I’m sure the person beside me will throw a laughing fit kaya wag na lang.
Off the train station

Art students...Taipei 101 partially hidden

The Honor Guard!

Love the flowers...effort ang color-segregation!

That’s me playing with giant bubbles…to the vendor’s delight.

I couldn’t get enough of the bubbles…sakin nagmana ang mga pamangkin ko. Hahaha
It took us a couple of train stations lang yata and lakad-lakad-lakad to see and climb…Taipei 101.  It used to be the world’s tallest building (ang taray naman kasi ng Burj Khalifa sa Dubai!).  Taipei 101 has 101 (obviously!) floors above ground and 5 floors underground.  I was surprised to see that it’s a multi-level shopping mall…think Louis Vuitton, Prada, Burberry etc..etc.
So you can imagine how cold it was!


No comments:

Post a Comment