Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Guimaras: Guisi Lighthouse and Ruins!


My back was already aching from the long tricycle ride but I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face because I was after all, setting foot for the first time at the Guisi Lighthouse and Ruins.  Located in Nueva Valencia, the trip took almost an hour but had the roads been better, it’s an easy 30-minute ride.

Our guide suggested a route that would take us to the beach first.  The sky was overcast so it was an easy stroll.  I was intrigued by the black sand that I initially thought of as oil spill remnants…but it was really black sand upon close inspection.  We climbed a rickety make-shift ladder with no idea that at the other end we’d find a breath-taking old structure.

Built in the 18th century, this lighthouse had probably guided hundreds of ships cruising along the Guimaras straight.  I was in that senti-moment when I saw a cargo ship passing by.

The old lighthouse is full of rust and might just crumble anytime which is why there’s a sign warning brave tourists against climbing at the top.  But the imminent danger was not enough to stop us from seeing the view from the top.  Foolish, yes, but we saw something that only a few are lucky enough to see.  The danger was definitely worth it.

There’s another lighthouse that’s modern and in very good working condition.  Though a bit off, sticking out of the ruins, it gives you a perspective of both old and new, the past and the present.  Which made me think…what kind of lighthouses will they build a hundred years from now?  Or will there be lighthouses a hundred years from now considering the advancement in technology?  Wala lang senti-mode lang.

This is definitely my favorite part of our Guimaras adventure.  
 










No comments:

Post a Comment