Saturday, April 16, 2011

Zamboanga City: Taluksangay Mosque!


Hiring a van for a day-tour was so worth it because our trip to Taluksangay would not have been made possible.  The mosque is considered one of Zamboanga’s tourist spots but it’s outside the city center.  Again, the nagging feeling that it’s not safe was there but there’s no stopping our itchy feet.

The mosque is nestled in a place where seaweed is the main source of livelihood.  As we stopped to take shots of the mosque by the bridge, we were greeted by Muslim children who were on their way home from school.  The kids were quite respectful, in my opinion, because they would stop to give us time to take our shots and would only pass when were done.  I purposely took a shot with the kids passing by because the abaya (loose robe) and hijab (head cover) color combination reminded me of my highschool uniform.  And green happens to be my favorite color. J

I read about this mosque and it’s said to be included the National Historical Institute list.  Almost all of the blogs I read mentioned gold minarets with pictures to prove it…I must have gone there when they had them re-painted because I saw bright red ones.  Sayang, I would have preferred the gold minarets even if they lacked luster already.









2 comments:

  1. You don't neef to hire a van to get there. A jeepney to there from Zamboanga city center near Pershing park is just 14php.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tip but I was with a huge group and hiring a van was the most convenient thing to do at that time.

    ReplyDelete