Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Cambodia: Thru My Eyes!

Cambodia and its people exude a certain kind of innocence after all the adversities they went through, the kind that makes it all the more dear to me.  If there’s a key, I think that it’s the Angkor temples for they are the symbol that all Khmers can look to remind themselves of their heritage as they rebuild their country.

Quite a poor country but Cambodia is a relatively easy place for any English speaking tourist to visit.  I have always been interested in seeing a place with a few rough edges to it because I’m one those few who likes uncertainty and a bit of danger in their lives.  I mean, how can you not think of danger when you hear about Pol Pot, the genocide, the Khmer Rouge and landmines?

This is not a country where one would stay for a long time but I have seen Cambodia in a very different light.  Must be because of the interaction that A and I had with the locals or it must be our love for old temples and ruins.  Whatever it is, I think it’s an understatement if I said that I fell in love with this country.  I truly hope that the Khmers have put their troubled past behind them and can soon enjoy freedom, stability and material luxury in their lives. 

So, go see Cambodia now with all its “rough edges” before it develops any further.


No comments:

Post a Comment